We are looking for a post-doctoral researcher to work within the theme of the EX-PATRIA project at the Research Center UMR 8164-HALMA. Their main task will be to contribute to the prosopographical database of Late Antique migrants who were crossing the border between the Roman and the Sasanian empires. The more precise thematic and geographical foci of this prosopographical work, as well as its principal source base, will depend on the candidate’s profile and specialisation.
|Required degree:||Ph.D. (mandatory)|
|Type of contract:||Full-time fixed-duration contract|
|Duration:||12-24 months (to be discussed)|
|Start date:||01/10/2023 (negotiable)|
|Salary:||Gross monthly salary from 2 366 euros/month|
The position is funded by the University of Lille, in the framework of the Junior Professor Chair held by Ekaterina Nechaeva at the Hub Sociétés and the project “EX-PATRIA. Conflicts, Contacts, and Circulation between Rome and Iran in Late Antiquity”. It is hosted by the Research Center UMR 8164-HALMA.
The EX-PATRIA project led by Junior Professor Ekaterina Nechaeva (University of Lille, HUB Changing cultures, societies, practices) studies across-the-border mobility, migration, and circulation of people between the Roman and Persian empires in Late Antiquity. It examines interactions (religious, cultural, educational, artistic, economic etc.) among groups, communities, and individuals on the two sides of the states’ border and the formation of networks that transcend this border. It also analyzes the mechanisms by which these flexible formations interacted with the more rigid structural frameworks of states and institutions, notably in politics, diplomatic and military affairs, law, and religion.
The successful candidate will work within the theme of the EX-PATRIA project at the Research Center UMR 8164-HALMA. Their main task will be to contribute to the prosopographical database of Late Antique migrants who were crossing the border between the Roman and the Sasanian empires. The more precise thematic and geographical foci of this prosopographical work and its principal source base will depend on the candidate’s profile and specialization. This envisaged focus should fit the themes of the EX-PATRIA program and one of the four research themes of the HALMA research center and should be mentioned in the cover letter.
The successful candidate will also be expected to:
- represent the EX-PATRIA Project and the Research Center UMR 8164-HALMA, presenting their work in research events (conferences, congresses, workshops etc.)
- prepare and submit publications in the leading venues of the domain
- reside and work in Lille (however, library and other research trips connected to the project will be possible and supported)
- A PhD degree in Late Roman / Early Byzantine History or in a relevant neighbouring field
- Knowledge of Ancient Greek and Latin
- Competence and interest in the main topic, knowledge of sources and bibliography
- Capacity to work independently. Willingness to work on an interdisciplinary, collaborative research project in a team
- Proficiency in English, some knowledge of French
In addition, the following qualifications would be appreciated and constitute an advantage:
- Command of Classical Syriac / Classical Armenian / Old Georgian (please mention your command of other ancient and modern languages)
- Experience in the prosopographical research
- Experience in the field of digital humanities
- Cover letter (as explained above, please do not forget to mention the envisaged focus and principal source base of your work within the EX-PATRIA Project)
- Proof of the degrees
- A sample of work (publication(s); PhD dissertation)
- Names and contact information (with email addresses) of 2-3 persons who can be contacted for letters of recommendation
Complete applications are to be submitted in PDF format by e-mail by the 25th of August 2023 to both following addresses:
The recruitment commission will meet for the first time to shortlist the applications. Selected candidates will be promptly invited for an interview, which will take place mid-September 2023.
For questions please email: firstname.lastname@example.org